PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 744 Diversion to MAN (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2005, 20:37
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.... - If the decision was made to shut the engine down prior to the Flaps being up ( for whatever reason, damage suspected or not) then the crew should have used the "Fire Engine, Severe Damage or Separation Checklist", which does indeed included the item "Engine Fire Switch....Pull".
I sure hope not. That kind of action can lead to the wrong switch being pulled at a most inopportune time.

I've seen the results of this first hand in the simulator. In fact the recommendation is to take your time even when the fire bell has been illumunated seeing as there have been extremely few if any engine fire bell warning that having been delayed have ever resulted in the loss of a big jet. twin, tri or quad.

The aircraft has redundancy (multiple extinguishers in the pylon as well as fire shielding to give you at least 5 minutes to collect your thoughts.

I now note that the arguments pro and con for BA are winding down to a few final contestents and the what-ifs are still with us. I will welcome the silence unless new facts are revealed.