PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA cabin crew strike ballot!
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2005, 15:21
keeperboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon the topic is getting a bit off the point now.

I am LHR BA crew (on the new contract) and I agree, some of the Cabin Crew earn ridiculous money. Many of my mates at other airlines say the same about my money!

HOWEVER. Lets say your salary as an SFO is £85,000.00. Your pay and conditions are all fixed within your contract of employment. Then, 10 years later Easyjet starts paying it's SFO's £40,000. On the basis of this your company says YOU should be paid that much as well. Then you start reading posts on here, whinging you are paid too much because a SFO at xyz airlines only earns 'x' amount. Despite the fact that you signed your contract and have planned your life around the money you were told you were to earn, tough luck, people are getting paid less elsewhere, so should you. What would your reaction be? Put your hand up and say 'yes, indeed, let me tear up my contract and get paid half that'. No Way!

The situation at BA is not unique. When a lot of these people joined BA they were in effect 'civil servants'. They worked for a government entity that lost millions of pounds a year and no-one gave a sh**. It is no different at other similar carriers such as QF, AF, LH, AZ, etc etc the list goes on.

On the subject of seniority it is something totally different to dosh. Flying Crew Orders state seniority and rank clearly. Money isn't related. Because you are of higher rank it doesn't state you should be of higher salaries. Most crew earn more than their superiors ('performance Execs') whether they are on the new or the old contract. It's like saying that Rod Eddington is more senior than Tony Blair because his salary is more. Nope!