PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat - Hey pass that thing man!
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2001, 00:08
Al Weaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm getting confused with all these posts. On one side we seem to have wild speculation about what could have happened and on the other side we have many people saying shut up and wait for the final report. Is there no middle ground?

Certainly from the actions of Transport Canada in restricting the certificate holder and requiring special training, there is reason to suspect that the likely causal factors included much more than a simple mechanical fuel leak. I would think that the pilot members among the posters should have knowledge of procedures that would/should have caught any fuel leak before it led to flame out of even a single engine, let alone all engines. If this is not the case and that most pilots would have not prevented the flameout than indeed the passengers are extremely lucky to have flown with the rare hero pilot that could save a plane with no power from 100 miles out or so. This is not very comforting to me since I am well aware of other incidents of massive and minor fuel leaks that seriously depleted fuel tanks before being discovered.

So what comforting action should we expect while flying anybody's aircraft today, while still awaiting a final report to be issued by CTSB sometime a year or so from now? Should we hope that all our pilots are heros or are there other lessons learned here?