PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you Left-Handed?
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2005, 20:13
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am left-handed.

I first learned to fly with a right stick and left throttle (some would say the 'proper' way to fly). Then I did the 'conventional' flying - control wheel & engine controls in the middle. I had no problem converting.

A little while ago, I had the opportunity to fly a Beagle Pup, a delightful aircraft I wish I'd encountered years ago. That was left stick, right throttle. Again, no problem converting.

I've spent over 35 years driving in the right seat of a car, only relatively recently did I drive for the first time on the other side. Again, no problem. Indeed, only once in several thousand of miles touring in Europe in a right-hand drive car did I have a moment's lapse of concentration and drive on the wrong side. Fortunately there was no-one else around.

I'm surprised about the 25% statistic. I consider myself quite versatile when it comes to handedness. I'd put this down to it being a right-handed world and us lefties just have to be more adaptable to survive, but maybe there's more to it than that! We're definitely more artistic, I think about 50% of great architects and painters are left-handed. Perhaps that's a part of the spatial awareness thing.

I'm quite proud of my 'difference', not ashamed or shy about it. It's nice to encounter others and it's a crime that it's ever beaten out of people. Helli-gurl, I feel for you.

I do prefer to use a mouse with the left hand, am doing so at the moment. Howeve, it's no problem to sit down and use the right hand if that's how the previous user has left it.

Most right-handed people are simply quite useless at adapting. I'm often asked to do tasks that require using the left hand by righties who can't cope, yet we're expected to manage the other way around.

I have no idea how it arises. My first wife was also a leftie, but our son is firmly right-handed. My present wife is right-handed, as are our 2 children. Ho hum.

More interesting facts & figures, please.

Cheers,
TheOddOne