PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin GPS96C or PDA?
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2005, 19:48
Rans Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve got both, the PC being a XDAII with memory map navigator, and a Fortuna GPSmart Bluetooth GPS.

In the Air:

For simply knowing where I am on a map the pocket pc with Memory map is superb, I use the (CAA 250 scale map). EVERYTHING else is done on the 96c.

The fundamentally thing is the map in the pocket pc is just a scanned image of the real map with your position and pre-defined waypoints added, the pocket pc does not ’know’ what’s on the map and will quite happily let you fly in to Heathrow at 500ft without a bleep.

The 96c will let you know when you about to enter a restricted area, you have nearest (airport. etc, functionality), glide ratios, circuit maps, extended runways, fuel timer …. Every thing you come to expect from a dedicated aviation GPS.

I plan my routes using memory map on the pc, as it’s easy to view the real CAA map on a large screen, then trying to set up a series of waypoints and routes on either unit. I then transfer them directly out of memory map to the Garmin.

Once back on the ground I transfer my tracks to memory map.

In the Car:

The 96C doesn’t come supplied with all of the road information, only motorways and A roads.
To use the 96c you will need to purchase Map Source City Select software this will set you back another couple of hundred quid as the software is only supplied as a car kit (this includes a cigarette adapter, just like the one the unit came with, and a dashboard mount (again already supplied with the standard unit.. thanks Garmin).
When you have it, it’s functionality and route choice is best described as adequate.

On the other hand TomTom navigator 3 for the pocket pc is probably the best in car sat-nav money can buy, every feature you could ever want (mine even gives me warnings for Gatos cameras).

So I use the Pc in the car, and the 96C in the Air (with the PC as a quick reference moving map).

Les