PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Screening of crew operating screened air services
Old 17th Mar 2005, 10:02
Dog One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear ITCZ - sounding a bit testy old chap, after reading your profile I can see why. Has cyclone "Ingrid" being bouncing you around?

Has any pilot been refused an ASIC card? I understand that there have been cards withdrawn or not issued, in cases where criminal charges have not being disclosed or have been proven. In the case of arguing with Group 4, no, not at this stage.

How-ever, I am sure if you strutted through the security at Darwin and said in a loud voice that you were not going to be screened and continued on into the screened area, I am sure that Group 4 would watch you on your way and just notify APS to go and get you. I suppose that is when you would draw the secret weapon and threaten them with a ministerial enquiry. I could just imagine them running from you in great fear!

DOTR's are being tolerant at airports where full screening of flight crews is being introduced. Like all regulations there is some amending to be done, but as time goes on the tolerance will be less, and whether you threaten them with a ministerial or not, they do have the power to have a persons ASIC card suspended or withdrawn for a breach of security regulations.

My main concern is that their appears to be a variation in sensitivty of individual scanning machines. Does this mean that some items are not being detected in carry on baggage, and are being carried on board?