PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 744 Diversion to MAN (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2005, 18:33
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOVES- I can't believe you are saying all that!
<if they found any debris, bird or rudder on the runway>- how do you know it came from your aeroplane?
<Can you please call the purser and ask him if they saw anything wrong with that engine?>- I don't think any pilot would trust a cabin crew member to assess damage on an engine! Would they know where to look? Would they be looking at the right engine? Would they know what to look for? The only way is for a pilot to go look himself.
<And how's the passenger mood?>- who cares? It's MY mood and MY safety I'm always most concerned about! The passengers will be OK if I look after #1. I think the best way to look after #1 would be to get my ass back to LHR.
<Is it necessary to make a low pass over the tower to make them assess the landing gear/flaps situation?>- I'm sorry, but you cannot be serious! What would they see from 1000'? Nothing! It is NEVER recommended to do a pass of the tower- they cannot see anything.
<via the ACARS at home base, they noticed anything wrong with the huge number of data they have collected?>- I have little doubt they would have done this already.

I get the feeling you are a nervous flyer. At the slightest possibility of any damage whatsoever, you seem to want to dump fuel and return. Birds hit wings and damage flaps, bits break off, tyres deflate. You do your best to work around these things and follow advice. Advice here was to continue. The crew would not have done so without being happy it was safe for them and their passengers. I would do exactly the same. Our job is to get you there, not to find a million reasons not to.