PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 744 Diversion to MAN (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2005, 12:45
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree that there are far too many 'experts' (not) posting on this thread. Having flown ETOPS in the past and now in the middle of a conversion onto the B744, I can see why those of us who operate that a/c are getting frustrated with some of the comments coming from the 'experts'.

From now on, I propose that we let the pilots of the B744 post on this thread. The obvious lack of understanding about 4 engine LROPS by some people on here is truly amazing, especially considering that some of them are, allegedly, pilots too!

In the meagre hope of preventing any more wild speculation and hand wringing from those who are not 4 engined qualified or experienced, especially about how the crew identify whether an engine has actually 'failed' or is just surging after take-off AND when the decision to shut down the engine takes place AND how they then come to a decision as to whether the engine has suffered damage that would warrant an immediate landing OR how the crew would figure out whether they could continue on 3 engines and still make an alternate should a second engine have to be shut down because they still have a performance manual available in the F/D library... I think it is time to ask those who obviously don't fully understand the difference between what happened after take off, the decision to continue and the separate situation that developed towards the end of the flight to please refrain from posting any more statements or pronouncements with regard to their opinion unless it is a question to experienced 4 engined LROPS pilots. (phew!)

The number of statements from what appear to be either enthusiasts trying to impress the rest of us or 'PC Sim experts' that have no in-depth understanding of actual 4 engined LROPS, such as questioning about secondary damage or bird strikes or fuel-tank leaks or burst tyres is getting to be a bit too bothersome. If you are not able to understand how pilots assess these situations after reading through this whole thread then please leave your inane questions to yourself as all you are doing is pi$$ing the rest of us off and fueling the media luvvies who thrive on this kind of ignorance.