PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 744 Diversion to MAN (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2005, 08:06
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rainbowe:
quote:

DOVES- you need to read the definition of 'ETOPS'.

This is exactly what I’m meaning (as you have written so many times: “Now I ask you again to examine flying 3+hours over the Pacific on one engine- and this is accepted as a normal risk of ETOPS (twin) over water, with 300 passengers. What is your opinion of a comparison of the risk?”):
Perhaps time has come to review ETOPS rules”.
Carnage Matey!:
quote:

1)No visual sighting of birds on the take off roll

How do you know? Were you there?

2)Absence of vibration is a big clue. These things windmill at high speed, physical damage to the engine tends to lead to abnormal vibration levels.

I don’t know if tey had vibrations, but for sure it was a ‘non-recoverable surge’ otherwise they didn’t have 1200° EGT and the need to shut down the engine.

3)Such as what? The engines are out on a pylon. Fuselage damage would lead to pressurisation problems. Fuel tank damage would lead to fuel loss. Hydraulic damage would be evident from EICAS. Damage to the flaps/slats would only be evident on extension, so does it matter whether that occurs at LAX or LHR?

You are shooting so many autogoals! What happened if one or more of those problems (a failure to the adjacent engine, a severe fuel or hydraulic leak, a separation of a section of flap, a depressurization) would have happened in the middle of nothing: by the point of ‘non return’ ?
And I have to ask everybody why nobody has commented my assertion:
… that a Captain can only… RISE THE MINIMA, NOT LOWER THEM
DOVE