PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An airport for St Helena?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2005, 06:37
enicalyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and here is the press release

An Airport for St Helena

The South Atlantic island of St Helena, which is one of the most isolated inhabited islands in the world, is set to get its own international airport.

One of 13 remaining UK Overseas Territories, St Helena is at present accessible only by several days’ sea voyage from ports on the African mainland or from Ascension Island. The airport, which should be ready to accept flights by 2010, is expected to provide a boost for the island’s economy. The Department for International Development (DFID) will provide funding, subject to satisfactory bids for a ‘design, build and operate’ contract and a rigorous environmental impact assessment. All private sector investor interest in St Helena will be considered on an equal footing.

The decision by DFID, in consultation with the St Helena Government, follows evaluation of options to maintain access after the island’s passenger and supply ship reaches the end of her working life in 2010. This last remaining ‘Royal Mail Ship’, the ‘RMS St Helena’, is now the island’s lifeline to the world.

Speaking today, International Development Minister Gareth Thomas said:

“I am delighted to make this announcement, which I know will be welcomed by the island community and St Helenians everywhere. I have every confidence that the islanders will take full advantage of the enormous social and economic benefits that we expect it to bring to them and to their island”.

Page 2 of 2
14th March 2005

The island’s Governor, His Excellency Mr Michael Clancy, said:

“I have no doubt that this will prove to be a momentous decision in the history of St Helena. We are sure we can develop the proposal into a huge success that will lead to economic growth and considerable advantages for the island. The island government and community are most grateful for this expression of confidence by Her Majesty’s Government in the future of St Helena”

Note to Editors:

1. The new airport will be located on Prosperous Bay Plain - on the eastern coast of the island. It will incorporate a total runway length of 2250 metres, sufficient to support safe operation of long-haul jet aircraft such as the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737-800. Pending an international tendering process, the initial cost estimates for the work will not be released for commercial reasons.

2. The project will include technical advice to help establish regular scheduled air services and to support St Helena in reaping the economic benefits of air access for the island. Increased tourism and inward investment is expected to follow the much improved access arrangements.

3. UK assistance to St Helena (pop 3900) is currently about £13 million per year. This includes budgetary support to meet essential public services and to subsidise the island’s dedicated shipping service.

4. For further information please contact the DFID press office on 020 7023 0600 or e-mail [email protected]