PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Costs
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2005, 20:03
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working to your maximum isn't exactly an 'extra' you've thrown in, now is it ?
Well that depends which way you look at it. Our contract allows us to work the maximum legal flying hours as long as the company can roster the hours reasonably efficiently. Your contract is based on working hours, not flying hours. Our contract requires us to work to certain minimum turnaround times, which we regularly ignore in order to achieve the unrealistic schedules BA plan to keep us up to maximum hours. Call that goodwill or stupidity if you prefer, but it does make the difference between the shorthaul operation succeeding or falling apart on the day. Your contract also requires you to have minimum turnaround times. However you never reduce below these as BASSA won't allow it, hence flights get delayed or cancelled on a daily basis. So you see, pilots actually give rather a lot to the company on a daily basis, including reducing rest downroute after a delay (when the cabin crew demand their 18 hours and position home instead). Just because it doesn't get trumpeted on a union newsletter by security doesn't mean it isn't happening. BA gets a lot of flying out of us per duty hour. BA gets far less flying out of you per duty hour. I do 50% more sectors per month on shorthaul than a typical EF cabin crew roster. I think we give the company plenty. And before you say it, no I didnt get a massive pay rise to accompany that increase in workload.