PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Cabin Crew Costs
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2005, 13:16
keeperboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While Willie Walsh became known as the 'slasher' at Aer Lingus I think he will have a much harder time at BA. I mean for starts, read a BA mainline Cabin Crew Contract. It clearly states that our Trade Union negotiated Collective Agreements (eg. CAT turnarounds/destination payments etc) form part of our contract. In other words, the only way they will ever be changed is with it's union members (ie US!) agreeance.

Lets look at the Aer Lingus situation. It was widely tipped to go belly up like Sabena or Swissair after Sept 11. The crew HAD to agree to whatever concessions Willie wanted or none of them would have had a job to come into the following week. It was not 'hard bargaining' with the unions. It was literally 'sink or swim'.

Now take a look at BA. We are shortly to announce profits of £525 million for the year. We will have the title of 'world most profitable airline'. Do you REALLY think that BASSA or even CC89 for that matter will be listening to Willie Walshes scare tactics? We have been told for years now about how we have to become cheaper and more efficient or in two years we will be bankrupt or we won't have jobs etc etc. Then the company comes out with an announcement of £525 million profit and proclaims itself numero uno in the profitability league!

Admittedly our debt is still high but it is still very small compared to many other airlines.

I don't get on the crew transport and ask the F.O or Captain what they earn or how many days off they have that month or how much work is in their roster. That is their business. At the end of the day, the pilots union accepted your pay deal. If the pilots are now un-happy with it let your union know, don't make us feel guilty for not going down the same road and accepting a crappy deal.

I am cabin crew myself and admit that there are many areas that can be made more efficient and costs could be cut. But i'm sorry. If BA wants me to become more efficient, work harder, longer etc etc I want more money. Plain as. Simple.