PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final ATSB report released on QLD Oct03 crash, 3 fatalities
Old 15th Mar 2005, 12:24
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
Page 3, Figure 2, a map of the flight path says it all.

If you ever want to answer the question about how long it takes for a non-instrument rated and proficient pilot to become a statistic....just look at the map in Figure 2. Approximately three miles in this case.

Management oversight.....the mention in the report where it was said the operator had been given a quote for the installation of SAS and a two axis auto-pilot system while the aircraft was being outfitted with the EMS interior tells me the old helicopter operator "Do it on the cheap" attitude struck again. I wonder how much money they saved by leaving off the SAS and Autopilot?

The fact a Consultant advised them the aircraft was not properly equipped and/or was not the correct type of aircraft was also ignored. Why do they hire the consultants if they are going to ignore their inputs?

Who in their right mind....would consider putting a pilot into this position...no instrument rating ( a grand total of 12 hours instrument training over his career), a single engine, un-Sas'ed, non-autopiloted machine, to fly at night over the sea.

In my book, they were either very callous or very stupid.

Anyone in Oz care to refute what I am saying? Can anyone down there convince me that what this guy was up against was rightous and holy?

The bigger question....since this crew of three died....have CASA, the operators, and the customers all taken effective corrective action to ensure this set of circumstances will not happen again? Or did the death of these three people just become another statistic and wind up being a sacrifice to corporate/governmental incompetence?