PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The need for licensed aerodromes for light aircraft
Old 14th Mar 2005, 22:56
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NS

An interesting point.

I wasn't going by my own interpretation of the rules but by anecdotal references. I have heard it suggested that if you take off from an unlicensed field you cannot log the time but that once you have done a landing at a licensed field you can then start logging it.

The article is subject to interpretation by the courts and is another example of the twisted loigic employed in drafting. I wouldn't argue with your interpretation.

The purpose is clearly to ensure that students perform take-offs, landings and circuit work at licensed aerodromes. Where it gets daft is in the assumption that a flight has one and only one purpose.

So the purpose of the flight is
1. To carry the student as a passenger to the exercise area.
2. To teach the student some general handling outside of the ATZ.
3. To return the student as a passenger to the a/d.

Where does that leave one?

Common sense says that the student is not acting in any capacity for the take off or landing but is Pu/t from the time the instructor says "you have control" until he takes it back again for the landing. The ANO and Common Sense though have little in common and and Art 101 would say he can't log it.

A good illustration of the need for reform?

Mike