PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetsgo Ceases Operations
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2005, 18:24
Orca strait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Globaliser:

We can’t really compare the Professions when it comes to the PPC (Pilot Proficiency Check) issue. I agree that as Professionals it is incumbent upon us as individuals to continually upgrade our skills and education throughout our careers.

The PPC differs in that a PPC can only be issued if you are working for an approved air carrier. In theory I could go to Boeing Flight Safety as a self sponsored candidate and complete a B737 Type Endorsement (Airbus, Boeing, Lear etc.). Upon completion of the course followed by successful grades on the written, oral and flight test exams, I would have B737 Type Endorsed on my license (approximately $40K USD).

I apply at XYZ Airline whom operate B737 aircraft and land the job. The Type Endorsement does nothing for my new Employer except indicate to them that I have passed the academics of flying a generic B737.

I would now undergo the entire B737 course again incorporating Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and all operating criteria that are approved and enforced by the Federal Regulatory Body for XYZ Airline. All of the ancillary courses are incorporated during the initial training period (high altitude indoctrination, crew resource management, dangerous goods, emergency procedures training, anti/de-icing cold wx ops, RVSM, ETOPS etc.). All of the ancillary courses require annual re-currency training and the PPC requires bi-annual training with a flight test and on top of that, an annual route check.

All training programs have to be approved by the Federal Regulatory Body and are then continually monitored. The specifics of each program vary with each Airline therefore the PPC itself is non-transferable; the experience gained by the Pilot however, can be.

Back to Jetsgo…

There are several types of Pilots that apply at Jetsgo – experienced (Captains with multiple types flown and thousands of flight hours) mid-experienced (First Officers with previous second-in-command experience on jet aircraft and new hire (several thousand hours on lighter aircraft but no jet time).

Jetsgo required all of these Pilots’s to pay the $30,000 as a condition of employment and knew they would get away with it as the industry was in an extreme downturn post 911. Taking advantage of the many Airline bankruptcies to snap up personnel and equipment for pennies on the dollar only to use them and abuse them then throw them back on the street a few years later.

By the way, all of the training has a time life, 90, 180, 360 days and the final being two years. If you have not flown in this time your chances of job re-entry are very slim. Most contract agencies require time flown on type that you are applying for to have been within the previous six months.

Michel LeBlanc is the Frank Lorenzo of Canada. The next time he or the Entrepreneurs of his ilk approach the trough again – just say no.

A good company treats its employees with dignity and respect and the employees return in kind (and no, Unions are not the answer).