PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 744 Diversion to MAN (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2005, 13:32
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the Flight letter. I disagree with it- is he any more right than anybody else? I'm happy to wait for guidance from the CAA. OK the Flight management 2 engine pages don't open until you are on two- there are actually 2 Performance Manuals behind the Captain with all the information there- driftdown and fuel flows.
Pinkman, I'm not sure what you are asking. My experience is it does not help to tell everybody everything. Unnecessary explanations seem to cause more alarm that enlightenment. Everybody is nervous getting on an aeroplane. I don't like it (unless I'm flying it). It's one of those things bringing out disaster thoughts even though it is outrageously safe. It's safe because of the professionalism and skill and training of the people employed to fly you. It's a high speed environment, there is not time for explanations, votes or excuses. Sometimes you just have to trust your crew to do their best on your behalf, and let them get on with the job. BA/BOAC has never yet lost an aeroplane through lack of fuel or running out of engines.

Now I ask you again to examine flying 3+hours over the Pacific on one engine- and this is accepted as a normal risk of ETOPS (twin) over water, with 300 passengers. What is your opinion of a comparison of the risk?