PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Students freezing on the controls.
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2005, 12:39
the_flying_cop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do what we do

some of our drivers get a little task orientated sometimes, not in a dangerous way but they do get a little fixated on the job and not flying the craft where we want it (not u JF if ur reading)

result is that the aircraft becomes so out of position we end up flying over what we are watching causing all sorts of problems for my comrade 'down the back' or we get so far away that we cant see whats going on. one particular soul when asked to fly round 'the big white building' ended up being 4 miles north of it!!!!!.

solution : small sharp object like a pencil or biro swiftly and not too firmly stuck into said drivers thigh. also equipped back end chap with long stick also with sharp bit on end to poke back of drivers head (provided pilot not wearing helmet).

result : smooth transit around area of interest and very alert and sometimes bruised pilot.

when i learnt to fly i remember that we used the two finger rule on the controls. this meant that we didnt fly like fighter pilots and that should the wheel come off then the instructor should be able to take control without having to wrestle the student.

regards

TFC