PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To Follow or Not To Follow The F/D
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2005, 21:34
Sky_Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Follow or Not To Follow The F/D

Me, I've only started on the 737, and its my first "Big Jet", but I found myself a little lost last week while in the sim of a 737NG. Most of my training has been done on the Cranebank 737-400, and this was my second time in the NG sim.
My problem came about while on a single engine ILS approach. I was given an auto-pilot failure after VOR/LOC and hand flew it from there. When I armed APP and the flight director followed the ILS fine until about 3 or4 miles.
To my lack of knowladge, I was a little unsure of NG power settings for single engine approach (anybody with those figures for a LW of 55tons please let me know) but I did my best to maintain the VREF ICE speed. What happened next totally lost me. I drifted slightly right of the LOC and when the F/D started moving left I followed but never got the dot right in the centre, after that it continued left and even when I was at dead centre with my dot it continued left while the LOC moved right
In the end, this problem cost me big, a partial pass on my OPC

I eventually gave up on the flight director and followed the LOC, and yes the right frequency was in and idented and the right course was set on the MCP

So what do the experts think? Sim Fault, Bad Flying or just the way the 737NG F/D acts.

Thanks for any replies,

S.C.