PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 744 Diversion to MAN (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2005, 20:48
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a 747 pilot with BA, and am amazed that this thread has gone on so long, and at some of the pompous posts. Just to clarify:a) I don't think that I am the greatest because I fly for BA, b) I can't comment on their procedures compared to any others, because I haven't used any others. The CAA seem happy enough with BA's Flight Contiuation Policy, else it wouldn't be allowed.

I can say that I've had an engine failure (over Riga, on the way to Hong Kong), and that all 4 flight crew were happy to continue. It is in essence, just a case of monitoring weathers more closely, monitoring the drift down over high terrain (not a problem for us), and therefore always making sure you have the option to land somewhere if the unthinkable happens and you lose another engine. If that happens it just ain't your day, but the 747 flies on 2 happily enough, although it's a bit of a handful if they're both on the same side. We landed without incident, a little late, in Hong Kong.I'm not sure the passengers ever even knew.

So why all the fuss over this LA flight? Granted an unforseen problem occured very late in the flight, and to be extra safe the dreaded mayday word was used, and the aeroplane landed safely. I say again, why all the fuss?