PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diabetic man forced off BA flight
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2005, 20:32
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may surprise some of you, but when someone needs regular injections it is possible to forget that you are carrying them as it is part of your normal lifestyle and thus accidentally not declare them. I have had personal experience of this having had to carry injectable medication around for several years and been on many flights with it prior to the clampdown. Thankfully this is no longer the situation. On the first occasion on which I flew after all the new rules and regulations came into being I quite happily went through the check-in process, including putting by cabin bag through the scanner and went to sit in the lounge at Manchester and awaited my shuttle flight to London. Sitting there happily minding my own business it suddenly struck me that not only had I got the offending article in my cabin bag, but I had not been asked if I was carrying any such articles nor, most importantly, had they shown up on the scanner. Fortunately I had documentation and was able to satisfy the person from BA that I told. Whilst it is unlikely that this person would have died in the time it took to get to Heathrow there were measures he could have taken to reduce the risk. There are one or two important things to note. Why was he not carrying an identification card? diabetic people who require insulin have one and it should be carried at all times. Failing this, if his diabetes was really as unstable as he claimed (another good reason for carrying the card) why did he not have some sort of Medic-Alert bracelet or necklace? The person with the illness / disease has responsibility for making sure that his or her problem can be easily idenitified especially if travelling in an area where English may not be the first language. (I am NOT suggesting that nobody in Hong Kong can speak English)