PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easy's first A319
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2005, 19:11
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Conf iture

I said "It becomes active when the alpha (aoa) of the aircraft decays below Alpha Prot (the angle of attack when the sidestick starts to control alpha directly) and before the stall aoa known as Alpha Max"

On the PFD, the speed tape shows speed which decays with high alpha. Also alongside the speed tape is a 'tiger's tail' which shows the area between V Alpha prot and V Alpha max (note they are given in terms of speed and not alpha). Therefore from the pilot's point of view these 2 features are displayed not in terms of numerical value of alpha (although that is clearly what they are related to) but in terms of a higher and lower speed. Therefore when I used the expression above it would have been more correct to talk in terms of decays towards V Alpha Prot and V Alpha max to avoid confusion. As you will be aware an Airbus pilot has no readout of alpha directly but of speed only. The limits are displayed to pilot in terms of speed and not alpha.

Regarding the accident, Airbus have published a number of specific reports on this accident and I believe that what I stated is an accurate view of the Airbus 'view' of what took place. It is certainly the widely-taught view within Airbus operators and I have seen no evidence to suggest that it is not correct.

I hope that helps.