PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another BA one!
Thread: Another BA one!
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2005, 17:03
Mashie Niblick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveller5,
ALL airlines are the same on long "overnight" flts.If you want the crew trundling up & down with trollies all night........fine! But they've got to have the lights on to do this.Most people want to sleep for at least a few hours.It's difficult enough in economy,even without bright lights on.Last time I flew back from far east on such a flt,most of the people around me were complaining that the lights were still "ON" 3 hours into the flt.
I have never seen any airline switch the lights on mid way through a long overnighter back from far east to do a drinks round!!

Ever heard of a call bell? If you press it....most often a crew member will come over to see see what you would like.You can even order a drink!! It's quite amazing........

Sometimes, when I have been feeling rather energetic,I have actually got out of my seat and taken a stroll to the galley.(I have been told this is a good thing to do, in general, on a long flt....something to do with dvt or some such nonsense)
Once I got to the galley,I found the so called "disappearing" crew.They were all in there with loads of goodies and drinks.Tea & coffee was on,bars were open,sandwiches,crisps,cakes,chocs....even some pot noodles were on offer.I chanced my arm and actually "asked" for some of the nice things.
Blow me....if it wasn't handed over without hesitation and I even had a nice chat for 10 mins or so with a couple of the nice ladies.
It was incredible.I,like you,only thought that what they brought to my seat was all that was available for the entire flt!

You won't believe this....but I went back a couple of hours later........and they let me have MORE. 'Twas indeed a miracle!
This time I asked the nice ladies about why some of the crew were "resting"..surely they had not worked for long really?
Apparently they had already been down to Austrailia from London and had gone though a few time changes in the last few days,including 3 overnight flights and only had one night in Sydney so their body clocks were a bit "all over the place".

Phew,did I feel silly.I thought that all cabin crew were able to turn their "clocks" on and off like a switch on a robot.....,whenever they wanted.I didn't realise they were normal people just like me!!

Anyhow...it's something to do with some legal CAA twaddle that they have to be awake and a bit "bright eyed" in case something goes wrong with the nasty plane when it comes into land,and they might have to do some emergency things or other?

The pilots have to do the same thing too,they told me!!
Wow!!