PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Come on Guys n Gals...help me out here!
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2005, 11:20
machonepointone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naughtybutnice6792

The recent submissions have had a lot of truth in them, but there is still a lot that perhaps has not been said (and I do not mean that to disparage any of the contributors). As one of them said, the cost difference is pretty negligible, assuming of course a first time pass at the CPL. Clearly any retraining and testing will be cheaper on a single than on a twin, but you may wish to consider the following:-

1. Assuming a first time pass, having qualified for the CPL you will now have to do a six hour ME course plus a flight test of about an hour. This is in addition to the hours needed on the IR course. That basically is where the majority of any savings you may have made by doing it on a single will go.

2. I don’t want to get into the PFL v Asymmetric argument in the context of the CPL Skill Test. What you may wish to bear in mind, however, is that, provided you do all your training at the same FTO, you will already be pretty familiar with their twin by the time you start your IR training. I appreciate that you would have about seven hours of twin time from the Class Rating course, but that is only about half, if that, of the twin experience you would have by doing the CPL on a twin.

3. The IR course is 50 hours, but it does not have to be all done in an aeroplane. Depending on the FTO a large proportion of your training can be done in an FNPT2. In the case of the place you visited on the 8th, 34 out of the 50 hours are done in the simulator.

Whichever course you take (no pun intended), the best thing that you can do is to ensure that all your flying skills and techniques are up to scratch. For example, track crawling on the navigation is a fail point, and a poor instrument scan is unlikely to impress the examiner (actually it will, but not in the way you would like). Complex single or twin, you will be spending time just getting familiar with a new aircraft type, so if at all possible you want to be able to concentrate on that and not having to re-learn how to fly accurately.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

M1.1