PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial or Military Pilot?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2005, 03:38
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Genghis, this is a fair question that deserves an honest, non-patronising answer. If Aerospace101 has indeed just left School or University, some advice from those who have 'been there' would certainly be beneficial, I see no indication that he or she is undecided upon a flying career, or for that matter, undecided, merely facing the dilemma of not having the facts available to make a reasoned decision.

Aerospace101's choice is a personal one, and I can only answer from my own personal aspect of some 38 years ago when in the same position. I wanted to fly, there was no other option, it was as simple as that. My choice between Air Force or Civil (Airline) flying was equally simple, I would happily accept the first one to make me a job offer. In the interim, I invested every penny that I could earn into learning to fly.

In my case the Civil job offer came first, which I eagerly accepted. The Air Force offer came 2 weeks later, which I declined. I would have accepted the Air Force if they had responded first. Now, 3 decades later when I swap stories with fellow crew, of both Civil and Military backgrounds, all are happy with their 'life paths'. The ex-military guys have the advantage of having had a much more varied career, but the disadvantage of losing seniority relative to their 'pure civilian' colleagues of the same age when joining the airlines, which most Air Force people inevitabely do.

That's the long answer, the short answer to the question of which career to follow - Whichever one is first available.

One final remark to Aerospace101, which "essential qualifications & life skills" are possessed by School Leavers / University graduates with the dream of being a pilot? Your qualifications are probably such as to enable you to COMMENCE pilot training, and don't speak of life skills until you've been married, raised a family, paid off a mortgage, managed staff, and been an Airline Captain / Squadron Leader. Unless you realise those limitations, your dream of being a professional pilot will remain just that - a dream.

Regards,

Old Smokey