PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA cabin crew strike ballot!
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2005, 22:53
submariner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too used to travel regularly as SLF with BA, both club and cattle. I think we are going a bit off the original topic, but I felt I should add to the ongoing arguments.

I have not travelled with BA since 2001 due to CC. early that year I had 2 return flights to different middle east destinations. The first was club. The cc was worse than useless and came close to being offensive. Although only a 1/4 full, I was told my meal of choice had ran out and I would have to make do with the alternative. She was surly and arrogant. I did not wish the alternative and my partner (work colleague) decided to share her meal with me. Later in the flight I decided to utilise the free chocolates only to be informed that it was 'too close to meal time and was unavailable'. Normally I would have been angry at this treatment but both myself and colleague thought it was actually quite funny (and no, I was not drinking alcohol).

Another cc however had been watching her colleagues performance and once her colleague was out of sight, offered a meal from the first class and apologised for her behaviour.

On the return, (unfortunately cattle class), I was offered only biscuits and cheese and no other meal was offered for the whole flight. The cc was upset that I had the audacity to ask for a wine also. The flight actually returned to LHR early and therefore the cc used that as an excuse not to provide breakfast at all. All this for a princely sum of around £1,400 single. unbelieveable.

Overall, ba cc's are the worst I have ever encoutered, which is a shame because I know there are some genuinely good staff, but unfortunately they are in the minority, and Pax always remember the poor staff in such incidents.

So therefore due to these particular incidents (plus the fact that it is almost impossible to use BA point to point, unless you live in capital cities - eat your heart out ryanair) - that BA have lost my custom.

As to the salary structure, I would not wish to deny anyone a reasonable salary for a reasonable job, but staff will have to lose their holier than tho attitudes and provide a decent service to warrant their pay.

BA have lost their way short haul and this has led to the great SLF of this country to utilise LCCs to european destinations to connect with long haul, which leaves ba long haul vulnerable.

however, there appears to be a lot of internal grief to overcome first with the incessant bickering which seems rife from top to bottom.