PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nottingham Lynx Ditching
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2005, 22:50
timzsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I said before I was an OOW on a T42 (HMS Exeter) and was also the FC1 from Sep 98 - Mar 02. We had a Lynx 3 for about 2/3 of that time, with a very experienced Observer and an RAN Pilot (QHI qualified). We were also fortunate enough to have a very competent AC and a good CHOPS(R).

I cannot recall one incident where we had a problem with outhose wandering off on its own and I can only recall a couple of instances where mum was more then 10 miles from outhouse (which is not a problem as long as somebody tells the aircraft).

So what I am saying is that in my opinion this is either down to an operator error at some point, either on the ship, the bag, or amongst the Lynx crew.

Nothing wrong with making a mistake, we all make them. The trick is to learn from it and not make the mistake again. My worry has been for some time now that training and currency are no longer adequate in both the FAA and the fleet in general - which might explain what I believe to be a marked increase in flying accidents in the FAA over the last 5 years.