PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 - US agency voices concern over captain’s decision
Old 11th Mar 2005, 22:39
P Mitchell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diversion

This incident, as far as I can gather from other testimonies raises a few very pertenent questions. Firstly, considering the engine failure took place so early into the sector and also flying over most of the width of the USA, the captain had ample opportunity to divert to a "suitable airfield". The underlying decision was the one to continue upon reaching the Atlantic. I wonder how sure he/ she was of making land when this decision was made. I suggest that not having enough fuel for a go around upon arrival at MAN would suggest not very. The failure of engine number 2 would undoubtedly cause the aircraft to yaw, which would be compensated by rudder deflection. This would surely increase the profile drag on the aircraft, not to mention the spillage drag from the inoperative engine. This combined with not being able to reach the optimum cruise left no margin for error. I ask the question if the aircraft had experienced increased headwinds over the Atlantic, would it have even reached Shannon? I suspect personal factors to have been the driving factor in the making of this decision. Anybody remember Tenerife? I rest my case. Pax lives were jeopardised for the sake of keeping a social schedule and I challenge anyone to prove me otherwise. If it was as I suspect, the decision maker personifies unprofessionalism!!!!!!!!!!