PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Creating a home network
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2005, 18:02
5milesbaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creating a home network

I've recently purchased a Laptop and have linked it through a Belkin DSL Modem/Router to the Desktop. Connecting wirelessly to the net from the laptop has been doen successfully, but accessing the shared files from one to the other doesn't work.

Both machines run Windows XP Home with SP2, and the "set up a home or small office network" wizard has been run on both machines, creating individual computer names and descriptions, and setting the workgroup to "home" on both. I cannot create a floppy on the Desktop as the Laptop has no floppy drive.

When I go into "my network places - view workgroup computers", the desktop lists the laptop, but the laptop does not list the desktop. When I try to access the laptop files from the desktop I get an error message:

"<laptopname> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found"

Right clicking the laptop and choosing properties gives,

"the server <name> could not be found on the network"

Why are they not seeing each other even though the Desktop knows the laptop exists? Anyone have any ideas what I need to do to fix the problem? I'm only trying to link the two so that many of the music CD's stored on the Desktop can be transferred to the Laptop. I'm trying to do this through an Ethernet networking cable that PC World gave me to do the job, that goes via the Belkin Router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, although not too technical please, I'm only just beyond the basics of computer jargon!!!