PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Transat loses A310 rudder inflight
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2005, 15:26
jmjakob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
landing without rudder

About the question done before on how hard it could be to land the A310 without rudder I can tell you that this type of aircraft is quite forgiving in that aspect.

I still mean the crew did an excellent job but the 310 is rather short and quite stable along that axis during the approach. I've only flown 737 and 310 but I have about 4000 hours on each type and all the execises we simulated with jammed rudder or other similar flight control problems were easier to solve on the 310 than the 737, especially the streched 400, 800 and 900s.

After the DHL A300 misile attack in Irak we reviewed all types of scenarios affecting flight controls and I tried a few on the A/C during test or ferry flights, (ldg without yaw dampers + no rudder input, etc.)

I actually believe that the rudder problem is more critical during cruise at high altitude than on approach. The 310 has a trim tank with 5000 kg in the stabilizer and flies with the most aft cg position permitted. That makes it very unstable at high altitudes and we once had a fright at FL 390 with a double yaw dampers failure in turbulence. Unpleasant and I'd think the boys from Air transat had more trouble at high speed, high altitude than later.