PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nottingham Lynx Ditching
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2005, 14:55
Oggin Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should take care over your comments as it could incriminate people or upset families of those involved. Thankfully in this case there were no injuries except to the pride of the bagman who sent a perfectly innocent lynx guy down the wrong path.
So you are happy to incriminate the bagman are you without backing up your statement - do you really know what happened?

Whenever I fly from the ship I bloody well know where mother is all the time, whether as a contact on radar or a no duff position from outhouse. I am not relying on anyone else - a second set of info to back up what I already know is nice for that warm and fuzzy but I don't rely on it. As aircraft captain I am responsible for getting back to the ship and no-one else. And yes, I have done emcon recoveries with no comms or radar at night from a long way out which wouldnt have worked without basic navigation skills, some semblance of SA and a ship doing what it said it would.

I'm sorry, harsh as it sounds, if you run out of go juice you have to seriously ask what was going on in the cab at the time, whatever the contributory factors. IMHO in peacetime there is no excuse for losing an aircraft due to running out of fuel.

Why dont we just wait for the BOI to release its findings. Then we can try to learn from any mistakes that were made to prevent any reoccurrence.

Oggin