PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hiller ...... Robinson in trouble now....Move over Schweitzer
Old 11th Mar 2005, 14:48
Project Pilot FH1100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many single-engine helicopters available right now, and all have their advantages and disadvantages. With the exception of the EC-120, all existing helicopters are derived from "old technology." Even the Astar really doesn't offer any groundbreaking technology and in fact uses some throwback stuff. The FH-1100, while not the most modern design, does have some compelling attributes. Among them are lifting performance, economy of operation and field reliability.

Every FH-1100 produced came with dual hydraulics and force-trim, as will the new ones. Most were also equipped with an early SAS. Since the ship was designed for the U.S. Army and to be used in the field, Hiller got ingenious when it came to working on it. For ease of maintenance, nothing beats the FH1100. The whole cowling slides back, exposing the entire powertrain. Two maintenance stands fold down out of the sides of the cabin. Neat! The thing is dead simple to work on.

Obviously, the 206 is a sexy bee-atch. Compare to it, most other helicopters look frumpy. Ever since I was a kid I've always liked the look of the FH-1100, and the new, sleeker nose will make it look more modern (although personally I'm not crazy about adding a windshield post). In the air, it flies "like" a 206 - two blades, hydraulic controls. I've never flown the boosted R-44, but I'd imagine it's not all that different.

The 206 has had forty years of updating, refinement and product improvement. Wish we could say that about the FH1100 but we can't. Still, the ship had a lot going for it back in the day, and we feel that it can still be competitive today. As the aviation industry continues to recover from 9/11, we are excited to see how the FH1100 will fit into the international market.