PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial or Military Pilot?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2005, 02:23
Tarnished

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Aerospace 101

You said:

"You have left School or University with all the essential qualifications & life skills and want to live the dream of being a pilot!"

Two burning questions slap me in the face after you say that:

1. what the hell do you consider to be the "all the essential life skills" that you have accumulated at this early age- do you imagine that once you (or anyone) has done with uni that you have learnt all you need for the rest of your life??

2. if you "dream of being a pilot" what on earth are you doing worrying about the cyclic nature of the airline world.

I would suggest what you really dream of is being handsomley paid for doing what you perceive to be a glamorous job.

Flying is without doubt one of the most addictive pastimes known to man, it breeds a level of perfectionism like no other occupation I have encountered. This explains some of the snobbery that exists on these forums between the private and professional aircrew.

In this world I have found you don't get "owt for nowt". The remuneration offered for either a professional military aviator or an airline pilot reflects fair market value for the level of effort and ability required to achieve the grade in each sphere.

There are no certainties in life, it would be boring if there were, live your dream, don't live for what might happen in 12 years time.

Always wear clean underware - 'cause your mum knows best.

T