PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial or Military Pilot?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2005, 23:48
Pub User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's an interesting angle.

Despite being a fairly introverted and modest person, I do believe I have sufficient experience of the miltary to reply as I did.

During 17 (and a bit) years of service in the RAF, I only met a tiny number of pilots who displayed such a non-committal attitude as Aerospace101.

The vast majority of my comrades-in-arms were whole-heartedly military, and I was happy to serve with them both in peacetime and in conflicts of various intensities.

The reality of the Modern World is clearly something you have to come to terms with. In this Modern World, politicians of various creeds send their militaries to war for the flimsiest of reasons. In those wars the military are expected to use their skills to the utmost, and to kill as many of the enemy as possible, without being killed themselves.

The Stone Age, the Modern World and the miltary are very much intermingled.

The flight deck of a commercial machine is an altogether more civilised and relaxing place, but with its own commercial and economic pressures. As a forty-something family man, I find it a more appropriate occupation, now that I have 'laid down my sword and shield'.

I stand by my intitial response. If you have to ask, the military life is not for you.