PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The need for licensed aerodromes for light aircraft
Old 10th Mar 2005, 21:25
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My personal view, for what it's worth:-

The licensing requirement stems mainly from the concept of Public Transport and Aerial Work. It presumes that members of the general public who are paying for a flight need additional protection because they do not have the knowledge to make a proper assessment of the risk involved. I don't have a problem with that if you are offering pleasure flights or air taxi/charter.

However someone who has decided to embark on a course of flying lessons is in an entirely different position. I would like to see at least that training for the grant or renewal of a non-commercial license or a rating thereon is treated as a Private Flight (whether or not the instructor is remunerated).

I would also like to see the requirement for the field to be licensed to be withdrawn and replaced by a requirement that the field is suitable, having regard to the type of aircraft and the training to be undertaken. This would bring the requirement for the airfield in line with that for the aeroplane (i.e. that it suitable for the purpose rather than certified for the purpose).

Mike