PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military or Commercial Career?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2005, 07:21
Aerospace101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emphasis on 'Cyclic' Industry. I know we cant predict the industry, but if airlines are picking up now, will they be doing the same in 12 yrs time after you have completed your short service commission?

Is Multis more rewarding than Airlines? (take into account 1 yr at IOT and probably another 1-2 yrs holding!)

I seem to have gathered the views that;

If you want REAL FLYING you need to go MILITARY: FJ or ROTARY. Great lifestyle, young free and single - but that doesnt set you up well for Airlines later. But you have to put up with the lows, countless days in the crewroom, cutbacks, lack of equipment (working), war and possibility of watching your friends or yourself die for your country.
If you go MULTIS - you might just have well gone Commercial in the first place. If the flying is fairly similar, RAF lifestyle perhaps the best for a 20yr old! But you still have to put up with holding etc.....

Sure the Airlines Flying 'aint the real deal', but you get stability for family, better pay, better prospects of seniority, varied travel....

But my point is what would you do tomorrow? Regarding the current future of both industries.