PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The great IR debate
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2005, 05:16
GLSNightPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can fly without any SAS or other augmentation, then you can fly with one. An engine failure in a twin is an annoyance, no more than that. My original IR was in a TH13, and then some years in a UH1, neither of which had any augmentation at all, and it's certainly not impossible to fly either in IMC. I now fly an S76, and it's a piece of cake in comparison. When the check pilot pulls an engine, all I do is check the torque to make sure it's below OEI (and it always is), beep up the Nr, and call for the checklist. It makes no real difference where the engine fails, it's the same drill. If it fails on the ILS, as IHL said, it's really a non-event, you just have to call for the checklist somewhere along the line. An engine failue in IMC in a single is a little more challenging. I've been given engine failures under the hood in singles, and that requires some airmanship to get all the needles where they need to be.

You can argue the superiority of training in twins all you like, but I'll never believe it.