PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Willie Walsh is the man to head BA
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2005, 22:31
the highwayman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon that MOL isn't really worried anymore about WW. Ryanair have moved ahead of BA in the area they concentrate on - short-haul. MOL has a business plan and he is sticking to it.

BA also have the T5 move to contend with and as previously mentioned have to look at replacing some of their fleet (I'd put money on them concentrating on Airbus rather than Boeing - that just an educated guess though). There is also the small matter of what to do with all the non-core business - if Dublin is anything to go by there will be lots of staff with new employers.

Before he took over at Aer Lingus didn't he run Futura when it was a subsidary of AL ? I know it was sold off subsequently - but was that when he was Chief Exec ?

Also a couple of months ago there was plenty of talk in the Irish papers about WW starting up a long-haul carrier based on the LoCo model. Don't know how much of it is true - but if there is any truth in the rumour - what could he do with BA long-haul ?

And now he also has real shareholders (not just politicians) to contend with...

I don't know how much he is being paid but I reckon he'll have his work cut out.

Highwayman