PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The great IR debate
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2005, 20:34
flyer43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning_Boy

I still can't see what difference it makes?

Why do you need to fly the ILS at 100kts?
Why do you need to be in IMC to train? Whats wrong with the hood and the blackouts?
Why worry about having a SAS when your only training, use the instructor/examiner as autopilot.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I still cant see how using a twin IFR ship can change procedures or weather etc?
You really are missing something, in fact rather a lot. There is a whole world of difference between paddling around with a training hood on in a single engine without stab kit and flying in real IFR in controlled airspace in a twin when one donk stops during the hold and you are still expected to maintain the flight within the required parameters while dealing with it. If you are flying an instrument approach into a real airport, they are not going to be too impressed if you want to fly the whole thing at 60kts cos that is all you are used to!! They've got big plankwing jobs to handle at the same time, all of them wasting fuel and patience in differing amounts while you bumble along...... And as for using the instructor/examiner as the autopilot???
Get real!!