PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 mile cross country
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2005, 19:18
Dynamic Apathy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well guys, I happily completed my 300nm at the back end of Feb, but like many other intrepid aviators on a 'long haul', it didn't go according to plan.

Objective No 1: Fly 300nm. No problem

Objective No 2: Achieve the first objective as cheaply as possible.

That was it really. I achieved No1 but fell short of 2!

And the lessons to be learned when flying on a micro-budget.

Well, I planned to use the Free landings in Flyer magazine: So Coventry, Cardiff, Sheffield and back with a convenient planned dogleg to stretch 292nm to 300+nm. Good idea eh!

I bought the Flyer magazine as soon as it appeared in the shop window, around the 6th Feb. I did think that it was late getting to the shelves, but at least I had it. On the day of the great flight, I planned, I checked, I rechecked, and with Flyer under arm I set off.

Oh, the flight to Cardiff was a breeze, and I was so relaxed as I checked in at The Cardiff Flying Academy. I told them of my bold plan, and offered the free landing fee slip, only to be told that the free landings at Cardiff were for March.

WHAAAT!!! I checked my Flyer, and sure enough I'd bought the March edition. I must apologise to Flyer now because no doubt many of you will have clicked you tongues, knowing how early Flyer appears on the shelves.........and I didn't. What a giveaway. I'll buy it more often now, honestly Mr Seager.

Ok said I. I paid up (what choice did I have). I replanned, and decided to do 312nm back to Coventry via Caernarfon. That shouldn't be too expensive!

I made Caernarfon without bother or fuss, but the little old 150 needed some juice, so I filled up and 'I still had to pay the landing fee'.

I made it back to Cov, and on cross examination with my peers found out that had I gone to Sheffield as planned I would have saved the landing fee by filling up, and it would probably have been cheaper fuel at Sheffield as well.

So there it is. A wonderful flight, totally not as originally planned, and costing more.

We all learn don't we! All the time!!!