PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA cabin crew strike ballot!
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2005, 18:36
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct. - If you train them for 24 hours a day, seven days a week and cut out some of the important drills required by JAR.
How long do charters take? Post a figure anyone in the know if you have it.

Air conditioning is not the problem. Cabin crew members can come within a metre of up to 800 individuals per day! I've lost count of the amount of passengers with viruses, colds and coldsores who've boarded an aircraft, yet most airlines forbid crew operating with colds, flu, coldsores, rashes, within 24 hours of vomiting, diarrhoea, etc. They get an infection then can't fly if affected by the antibiotics prescribed. Its also a physical job and injuries often occur meaning they cannot fly, but can work in the office. All the above is perfectly fine if you're brave enough to struggle into an office, on the ground you dont know when youve got blocked ears!
So do nurses, and all of their charges are actually sick as well...

I don't know many people who are either productive or come in when sick on antibiotics in an office environment - others don't want to catch it, and you can't concentrate on office work either.

Also if a BA Shorthaul LHR cabin crew member goes sick on the last day of a working block, then has three days off, and phones in fit the day before they are due back, thats FOUR days off sick.
With all respect, two days off around a weekend counts as four days sick in the office as well. I cannot comment on your company agreement you mention above, but statutory calculations of sick days in the office are very similar.

Stop making excuses...