PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2005, 14:16
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts
Sixtiesrelic, Chuckles et al; Love the reminiscences, please keep them coming!
I was only in PNG for just on eighteen months in the early 90s and still clearly remember some of the rather nasty incidents that occurred then. When I first arrived there around February 1990 I got all the 'gen' from various people but two pieces of advice still stands out and that was (1) that ones 'body language' can either establish you as (a) an easy mark or
(b) someone not to **** with.
The trick was to differentiate between the two and ensure that you fell into the latter category.
(2) Was somewhat different. I was told by quite a few long time expats that one should try to not act the 'superior white fella'
(the term actually used when the speaker was advising me)
Anyway, I must have led a charmed life in my time there because not once was I ever threatened, held up, shot at, molested or harrassed in any way that I can recall. Had a drunk mouthing threats on one of my flights out of Woitape once; thought stuff this, and landed back there only minutes after take off. Shut down, beckoned to our agent, pointed at the drunk and said 'get this drunk off my aircraft!'
Last I saw of him was about four of the locals hauling him off by his legs with several others kicking the crap out of him!
Another incident was a 'coffin charter' into Fane. The usual riot ensued with about fifty or sixty locals trying to get in the Islander for a free ride back to Moresby. I went off and had coffee with the Sisters and about an hour later went back to the a/c thinking that it would be settled by then. Wrong!!!!!
I'd had enough by the so I pulled some clown out of the LHS and intended to just turn the master switch on. The squeal from the door unsafe horn would have startled them enough to get the mob away briefly from the a/c so I could start turning an engine. However, the character I pulled out of the way obviously did'nt like it as he must have swung a punch at me. But one of the other rioters interestingly enough blocked the punch as I only felt a light tap on the back of my neck. When I turned to see what it was all I saw was the bloke I hauled out of the seat being dragged away by several others and they were really going to town on him!! Fists, feet an' all! So I took advantage of that and hit the switches, the crowd scattered and both engines were running in short order.
But the strangest thing that ever occurred was one night in the Club Dero. I was with the usual suspects at the time, us pilots from Simbu were with the TNA blokes and a few others including a few of the local 'non reflective' types. (Good one Chuck) One of the TNA pilots had just been hassled by some raskol but nothing dramatic and I remarked that I had never been held up, robbed, hassled or anything else really.
One of the locals heard my remark and commented that he could believe that easily and furthermore I probably never would be! When I asked why, his explanation was to me somewhat incredible to say the least!!
Anyway, if what he said was true, well it worked!!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Last edited by Pinky the pilot; 9th Mar 2005 at 14:45.