PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2005, 06:15
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Utter Rubbish"

Having been basically called a liar by old Chuck, I phoned Doug Sharpe of Waghi Valley Motors in Mount Hagen at 320pm (PNG time) to find that he was on his way to Lae by road.

Doug phoned me in Subic at 4pm(PNG time) having just arrived in Lae and in answer to my question how many trips he has done on ther Highlands Highway in the last 37 years, he replied that he could not count them.

In operating in excess of 40 trucks on the Highway from Lae to Tari, to Mendi, to Hagen, to Porgera and to wherever, He has been stopped on a number of occassions and has made donations to various political or self interest welfare groups who pop-up along the way but never felt personally threatened or in fear for his life.

He has has many thousands of litres of fuel or containers of food stuffs hijacked, he has had drivers killed, trucks off the highway down ravines, but for some silly reason, keeps on trying to keep the Highlands supplied by road.

In answer to my question did he carry self defense arms of any sort, he replied that he never has had a gun, he never has had a need for a gun and he does not expect to obtain a gun in the future.

He like me, believes that if you keep your nose clean, keep out of mischief and do not appear to be a threat to anyone, your chances of survival are better.

Sadly, there are some people that wherever they may be, always seem to attract the wrong type of attention. Maybe it is their oral or body language that attracts the unwanted. They possibly would get into an argument with a monastry full of monks!

Charles, if you so desire, you can contact Doug on 675-4722443 or 675-5451333 to confirm my statements.

Further, even with the problems in the country, the last that I had from the Ela Beach International Primary School was that expat enrolments were up on past years.

I will be in POM for a few days in April, to and from the reunion and will check out the Aero Club, the Cone of Silence as well as the RPYC and other old watering holes.

Regards,
Sharpie.