PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurofighter - Last seen.....
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2005, 22:15
Safeware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Tarnished about Mod'ing our own aircraft. Who would carry out the Mod's? Given the complexity of a/c such as Typhoon, who other than the DO would want to take on the task?

As regards risk, I think you're wrong. Life has its risks, flying more-so, military flying greater etc etc. Therefore, when things go wrong, as they do, I don't think that a witch hunt is justified when the risks are well understood. If something unusual happens, investigate it, figure out why it wasn't identified as a risk before and manage accordingly. Unless you can deliver a risk free product, then there is no cast iron guarantee.

As an Engineer, I have never aimed to stop aircraft flying - that equals failure for me. What I have always aimed for is for those in authority, whether it be a pilot as he comes to sign for the jet or our lords and masters to understand and accept the risks.

I think you'll find that Q has no authority, and try to give the best advice possible, even a qualified 'yes'.

With 'Clearance Process' your first problem area on both sides why don't both sides put more effort into making the process more effective for all?

I think it is as much a technology issue as anything else. Too much was vested in the holy grail of technology in general and particularly computing power and the systems on a/c today (but designed so long ago) are no longer capable of coping. Until the a/c gets a new architecture, it is limited. There is only so much jam you can get into your jar.

Last edited by Safeware; 8th Mar 2005 at 22:40.