PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SCMP Letter "Fat Cat Pilots"
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2001, 15:00
man in black

Thumbs up

Once in the mid-90's, my CX flight from Seoul to HK landed at old KT in the teeth of a strong typhoon. Just as we were setting down, the plane was carried by the wind and I really didn't understand how the pilot had had the skill to keep us from flipping over.

Later that evening, we actually shared a taxi to south side HK with the very same pilot. Well, he wasn't a "fat cat" and after hearing about what pilots really make, my eyes were opened. Most don't get anywhere near the storied remuneration quoted in the papers or by the Company. He indicated that he and his spouse were seriously considering leaving the Company, as he said it, to get a better balance between the pressure / rewards of his job.

I was troubled by this - given I had realized earlier that evening that we landed safely only due to him.

I never found out what he and his wife decided to do. For the sake of the travelling public and our family, we hope he is still flying. The incident left me with a strong belief that when people criticize pilots' salaries they should first get their facts straight and second think about how their lives depend on these folks each time they fly.