PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nottingham Lynx Ditching
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2005, 11:11
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As others have implied it's actually surprising that this doesn't happen more often. Basically we have machines and aviators relying upon those who can't think quicker than 16kts to get them home safely.

I almost had to park in the og-splosh when 'those that should know better' mis-plotted the reference point by 30nm, my radar clearly showed a contact at the imaginary position of mum and i was quite happy to recover in total emcon, so stun radar and off radio at 50nm. All that was there was a trawler! Well below div fuel by now.... so off i set for big merchant man i had seen on the way. Broke radio silence and flashed up the radar and found mum by luck rather than judgement. Landed 'a little low on gas'.

When i pointed out to 'those that should have known better' how a little bit of finger faff had almost got me soggy and lost an aircraft i was met with the quote "What do you want? An apology?" Oh, and i got a bolly for breaking radio silence.

The simple truth of the matter is that ship drivers won't understand until they are forced to drive a ship that can empty it's fuel tanks in just over an hour, then sinks as a result.