PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2005, 20:08
407 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...as much as I dislike Astars (EC)..... I have found that you don't think about flying an aircraft that "spins the wrong way", you just "do it", no sweat.
I'm probably too old and absent minded to think of left foot-- right foot, but if you look out the window, the hands and feet seem to automatically react in the proper manner. Even going from Astar to Bell to Astar on any given day, your finely tuned pilot reflexes should automatically compensate.

The 407 will give you a good cruise speed, probably near 130 Kts with out any accessories hanging off the sides. (we run a huge ski basket all year long) Baggage space is limited, just the same volume as your 206 ! The range is short, only 2.0 with regular tanks. With the extra fuel in the baggage mounted aux tank, range may increase by an extra .6 to .8 , but baggage volume further decreases.

The 407 is a great film ship. I've flown a few jobs, and the crews have just loved it. It's Smooth, Agile, and fast. The tail rotor on the 407 is strong, excellent control up wind, downwind, side wind, any wind....so sideward flight is possible at a very good speed...The climb rate is out of this world !

We filmed a documentary (Great Canadian Rivers - Athabasca R )on the huge Columbia Icefields (8,000 to 11,500) a few years back, with a full tank of fuel, about 5 guys and gear, we were able to climb up the glaciers-sideways- fast enought to thrill the cameraman...that crew was hooked on the aircraft.