PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Close call in Japan
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2005, 09:54
forget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct procedures aren't the answer to everything. Whose 'fault' was this. An oldie that, somehow, escaped press attention - at the time.

Note the separation - Horizontal, 300 Feet. Vertical, NIL

Summarised from ASRS Report Number 269000. Near Mid Air Collision.

Date/Local Time. 94/04. 18:01. Facility Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Intl. OH
Weather Conditions: VMC. Daylight. Visual Range 5.00 Miles.
Flight Phase. Take-Off.
Aircraft. B737, MD-88.
Anomaly resolution: Avoidance, evasive action.
Primary problem area: Air Traffic Control ( Human Factors)

Horizontal Separation 300 Feet. Vertical Separation NIL

Narrative, Controller.

Aircraft X was told to taxi into position and hold on runway 27 for traffic departing on runway 18R. Aircraft Y was told to taxi into position and hold on runway 18R because of a previous departure on runway 18R. When the previous 18R departure was no longer a factor I told Y ‘At the MM turn right Hdg 210 Degs, runway 18R cleared for take-off’. I scanned the runway, looked at the previous departure to make sure the aircraft turned out on the noise track. I looked up at the Brite radar and looked back down to observe the 18R departure Y and re-scan the runway. I then wrote down my next 18R departure and looked back up to see Y and X departing simultaneously from intersecting runways. At this time there was nothing I could do to avoid the simultaneous departure. I used proper phraseology for crossing runways and I believe I heard only the read-back of Y off runway 18R. X was never issued a departure clearance nor did I hear X read back a clearance.

Narrative. Flight Crew X.

Aircraft X cleared by tower to ‘taxi into position and hold runway 27.’ I (PNF) acknowledged ‘X position and hold runway 27.’ As we completed the final items of the take-off checklist, the tower transmitted ‘X turn left Hdg 210, cleared for take-off.’ I responded ‘Hdg 210, X cleared for take-off runway 27.’ As we lifted off and passed the intersection of runways 18R/27 I observed a company MD-80 approaching the same intersection on runway 18R. The first half of runway 18R was not visible from our position. The initial 210 Hdg was unusual for a take-off on runway 27.

Aircraft X cleared to taxi into position and hold runway 27. The First Officer read back ‘Aircraft X position and hold runway 27’. About 30 seconds later we received take-off clearance, ‘Aircraft X fly Hdg 210, cleared for take-off.’ We acknowledged and commenced our take-off roll. At rotation we observed another jet approaching the intersection of our two runways (27 and 18R). We passed ahead of and above the oncoming aircraft and continued a normal take-off. Factors that contributed to the problem; We had somewhat similar call signs. We were not aware of another company jet departing 18R. The first portion of runway 18R is not visible from runway 27. If the controller had shared the information that he had two aircraft in position for take-off I don’t think this would have occurred.

Narrative, Pilot Y.

Aircraft Y was cleared into position and hold runway 18R. We read back ‘Cleared into position and hold runway 18R, aircraft Y’. After approximately 4 seconds CVG tower transmitted ‘Aircraft Y, fly Hdg 210 cleared for take-off runway 18R.’ My First Officer read-back ‘Hdg 210 cleared for take-off runway l8R, aircraft Y.’ At 145 knots during rotation, as our main wheels left the ground approximately 600 ft short of runway 18R/27 intersection, we noticed a company 737 rotating on runway 27 prior to the runway intersection. We deviated left behind his rotation. He passed approximately 300 ft just to the right of our nose. Company flight was aircraft X which is a similar sounding call sign. At no time did we hear tower and X communicate about position and hold or cleared for take-off. It is our assumption that aircraft X read back our clearance at the same time as us, mistaking our call sign.

Report Synopsis:

Multiple runway operation, intersecting runways, similar call signs.
Aircraft X unauthorized takeoff. Near Mid Air Collision with aircraft Y.