PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nottingham Lynx Ditching
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2005, 08:48
Excaliber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concur about Lynx flotation characteristics; even with all flotbags operating it is only marginally more buoyant than a brick. If it did stay afloat for 45s then I would say that that was a result of the controlled arrival on a nice flat sea state.

I think that the T42 nav problems being talked about actually refer to the slippage that occurs within the AIO system – the system that the AC will be using in the ops room and that data link will also be relying on (hence Mk7 too?). The OOW will be using GPS based navigation, so he/she can reasonably be expected to know that the ship is within 10 miles of where they said that they would be. There should have been checks/balances in place at least every 20 minutes in the ship and in the helicopter to ensure that all the errors are identified and eliminated. If the ship is outside outhouse then 2 way comms are established (regardless of emcon - unless at war), the helo is told and the ship should try and get back inside 10 miles.
If doing something with more risk eg bad weather, silent/darkened ops then you fly to a ramp fuel (to keep a bit of time in hand to search for mum).

But the BOI will look at all of this.

Unfortunately aircraft have run out of fuel before (eg the SHAR on the container ship also assorted helos in the FOST areas) and will no doubt happen again. I’m just happy that I’m not going to another service at St. Bartholomew’s.