PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racing to the bottom.
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2005, 02:12
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

P-A-F, with every post, it becomes more evident that you are still very "green" (inexperienced) in matters concerning the workplace,
Statements such as, "you should base your decisions on what is the right thing to do", and, "I still think it is "greedy" ("for lack of a better term" - Wall Street) to hold a gun to a companies head to force them to pay above market wage.", have only further re-inforced this opinion.
Precisely what "guns" are you referring to?

I have had the "experience" of working for a company, without union representation, for the past 6 years, and I can assure you that BECAUSE there is no union to keep these people in check, they do WHATEVER they feel like doing, regardless of what the mutually agreed-upon contract states.

But unions can also be BENEFICIAL for companies, from the point of view of collective bargaining, and representation, as well as being a cohesive for the employees that lets them know they have at least the possibility of maintaining/improving their conditions, thereby creating a more stable workforce.
Of the original 2 dozen pilots who started here where I am now, over 50% have left BECAUSE of the treatment we have been dished out - in spite of our individual objections.
With the prospect of several more leaving, the company is now asking what can be done to to prevent losing any more.

Anyway, as you have a "problem" with unions, it is your prerogative whether or not you decide to join one when you grow up. I, also, was "anti-union" during my formative years - probably mainly because of the bias the media showed - the same media controlled by BIG businesses, and BIG, anti-union businessmen who owned them, in those times the Murdochs and the Packers.
It wasn't until I realised that almost all work conditions are NEGOTIATED and agreed upon by employers, and the employees' representatives - the unions - that I realised that workers have just as much right to expect the NEGOTIATED conditions to be fulfilled, as did the employer!

By the way, I suggest you learn to spell, before you start applying for jobs, otherwise prospective employers might think you're a little unedumacated!!