PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help-RAF ATC or ATPL?
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2005, 19:15
lm1148

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help-RAF ATC or ATPL?

Just wandering if any of you out there have any wise words?!

I graduated from uni last summer and as a bursar have accepted a SSC as Ops Spt - ATC.

I've had some time off and delayed entry until May 05.

So, with just over 2 months until IOT I really need to make a decision. I've been involved with the RAF since A-levels etc.. and accepted sponsorship to keep doors open along the way...now it's crunch time! Due to functional reach I couldn't go aircrew so accepted Int and then ATC.

I've always wanted to fly and get into civvy aviation...I've been drawn in by the RAF though over the last few years and I need to decide whether to go through with the RAF plans as ATC which I don't really have a burning desire to do or pull out before IOT and self fund an ATPL - which would involve a 60K loan + pay back of RAF bursary + no guarantee of a job! The other option perhaps - to go RAF and take a modular route to ATPL whilst serving or start ATPL after SSC is up.

I want to be an officer in the RAF, want the life style, the opportunities etc.. but don't know if I can handle ATC whilst people are buzzing around in the sky where I want to be!

Anyone with any wise words out there, any thoughts would be gratefully received by a maiden in distress! I know the decision is up to me but it helps to get inputs!